Now’s the time to plan for year-end gift givingNovember 18, 2013
With this year’s challenges and accomplishments still fresh in your mind, now is a good time to review and update your estate plans. To help you in this process, Optometry Cares® – The AOA Foundation constructed the following checklist of estate planning actions for you to go over as the end of the year rolls closer.
- Review your current will and trusts. These may need to be updated because of major changes in your life, such as births or deaths, a move to another state, etc.
- Take inventory and make a written record of the contents of any safe-deposit box. Give a copy to a trusted family member and note any items you are holding for someone else that don’t belong to you.
- Review the beneficiary designations for your life insurance and retirement plans to make sure your beneficiary isn’t someone who is now deceased or a former spouse.
- Make sure your durable power of attorney for health care and living will are current.
- Be sure you are comfortable with the guardian named in your will for those under your care, such as minor children or a loved one who is disabled.
- Finish charitable contributions by Dec. 31. As you think about special holiday gifts for family and friends, remember that making charitable gifts to organizations such as Optometry Cares® – the AOA Foundation in their honor can be a heartwarming experience that also offers you tax benefits.
If you’re still in the early stages of planning a gift, ask Optometry Cares® – The AOA Foundation office for help.
They can assist you in determining the best way to remember the foundation this year or in your estate. Simply call 314-983-4138 or email DAHolter@aoa.org.